GnuCash Features Survey

Aaron Peromsik aperomsik@mail.com
04 Jul 2001 00:40:21 -0400

linas@linas.org wrote...

> one disapointment so far is that 50% or respondents are programmers, and
> another 25% are engineers.  Where  are the 'ordinary users'?

Everywhere else. Running Windows with Quicken, or maybe MS Money.

The 'ordinary user' has no reason to come looking for us today... they
still haven't realized that free software is worth consideration. For
most people, it's not there yet. Until I can install Linux without
reading a single HOWTO and just have everything work, my mom won't be
able to use it.

Some of us think it's more fun to get almost-as-good software for free
complete with source so we can make it better, but we're not exactly
ordinary users then, are we...

[Of course a userland app like GNUcash could have a better chance of
"infiltration" than Linux if it ran on Windows. If "ordinary" people
slowly, over time, start switching to free apps, it would be less
traumatic if they eventually decide to make the OS switch to
Linux... and find many of the apps they had used on Windows work
better that way.]

Has the survey been advertised anywhere? If you adverteise that you'll
have a drawing at the end selecting ten people to get free copies of
GNUcash for Windows, you might get a few more responses. [But you'd
have to implement it first.]

-- Aaron