Quick question on Splits

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
12 Jul 2001 23:16:11 -0700

On 12 Jul 2001 12:50:34 +0100, Paul Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone confirm if I have the right end of the stick regarding the
> fields in the _split structure?
>
> I'm working on building a running total for an account, including splits
> from sub-accounts.  I need to be able to satisfy requests for 'Balance' and
> for 'ShareBalance'.  Looking at the TransactionP.h file I suspect these
> relate to the 'value' and 'damout' fields respectively.  The documentation
> doesn't state that this is the case - at least not to my level of
> accounting knowledge.

You are correct, for the stable version. If you have access
to the engine, there are functions to get these values.

However, for the development version, 'balance' refers
to the running total of the 'amount' fields. There is
no longer any distinction between 'balance' and 'share
balance'. The 'value' fields will not necessarily be
in the same currency, so a running simple total without
conversion is not meaningful.

dave