Sync with gnome releases

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
18 Jul 2001 16:42:13 -0700

On 18 Jul 2001 18:39:27 -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:49:34PM -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > What if we used LDAP directly? That would allow us to use Evolution's
> > > GUI as a bonobo component, but would also allow access from Evolution
> > > directly, and from other applications that also support LDAP.
> >
> > Uhh, I suppose, in some certain sense, that would be ideal.  Presumably,
> > we can tell evo-bonobo that 'here we are, we're an ldap server at port
> > 33889', and hopefully evolution supports editing and update to ldap
> > servers.   I haven't successfully used evolution ldap.
>
> I interpreted Dave's request the opposite way: gnucash is an LDAP
> client, just like Evolution, and they both work with the enterprise
> LDAP server.  Request info, update info, etc.

That is what I had intended -- GnuCash is an LDAP client and the
details of storing the data is left to the ldap server.

> That was what I was talking about when I mentioned using Evolution's
> backend anyway.  I sort of thought it used LDAP all the time.

No, it can use a number of different backend stores, inluding
standard mail files, mh directories, and maildir directories,
plus ldap, although I'm not sure if the ldap support is complete.

dave