Sync with gnome releases

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:52:02 -0500

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:42:13PM -0700, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:

> That is what I had intended -- GnuCash is an LDAP client and the
> details of storing the data is left to the ldap server.

You just flip-flopped from your last note.

I guess we're still on a separate page.  I envision gnucash as an ldap
server, and things like evolution would be the ldap client.   The details
of storing the data are up to gnucash, and not some distant server.
Why is this?

-- I want to associate specific address info with specific accounts.
   So I need to store at least one or more "cn=" with gnucash data.
-- Public servers are filled with incorrect data.  For instance, many
   of them identify my first name as "Vepstas", last name "Linas".
   Many of them list my IBM email address even though that address
   has been dead for over 6 years.   Thus we conclude that public
   data is corrupt, and that we need to get more accurate data somehow.
   Thus we have two choices: some other local privately-administered
   server, or store data in gnucash itself.
-- Another privately administered server is just another install
   headache.  More administrivia, more backup, save/restore headaches,
   More emails to the mailing list "i don't see why gnucash needs to
   launch all the daemons..." And security, authenitcation issues ..etc.
   And I don't want to use other flat files, because of the backup
   issues ... some guy typed something, and some other client trying
   to access these files corrupted something, and now gnucash data
   is corrupt, even though gnucash wasn't even running when the
   corruption occured.

So I conclude that we need to store the address data within gnucash
itself.  I just don't see how it could be any other way.

--linas

--
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/