Sync with gnome releases

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
18 Jul 2001 18:14:17 -0700

On 18 Jul 2001 19:52:02 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:42:13PM -0700, Dave Peticolas was heard to remark:
> >
> > That is what I had intended -- GnuCash is an LDAP client and the
> > details of storing the data is left to the ldap server.
>
> You just flip-flopped from your last note.

No, I didn't, you just misunderstood what I was saying.
I'm sorry if I worded it poorly, but don't tell me what
I meant, only I know that :)

> I guess we're still on a separate page.  I envision gnucash as an ldap
> server, and things like evolution would be the ldap client.   The details
> of storing the data are up to gnucash, and not some distant server.
> Why is this?
>
> -- I want to associate specific address info with specific accounts.
>    So I need to store at least one or more "cn=" with gnucash data.

It seems that ldap entries have uids -- why not associate in the
other direction? I think it would be a mistake to make gnucash a
an ldap server. Why should we reinvent openldap?

If the server maintenence issues are that hard, then maybe we should
use the evolution component directly, and the user can enable ldap
from there if they need it, otherwise use a local store.

dave