Sync with gnome releases

Matthew Vanecek linux4us@earthlink.net
20 Jul 2001 09:02:11 -0500

On 18 Jul 2001 12:50:14 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:26:33PM -0500, Matthew Vanecek was heard to remark:
> > On 17 Jul 2001 12:42:28 -0500, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > I don't know, maybe I'm concerned over nothing, but it just makes my head
> > > hurt to read all these emails along the lines of 'i can't install this caus'a
> > > that'.
> > >

> > You will never, ever, ever stop seeing those.  My God, man, I see that
> > problem at work continually--ON WINDOWS! of all things!!  If people can
>
> Hmm. Well then.  One of the things we Linux folks have been proud about
> is that unlike windows, we have a rational shared library aka dll subsystem.
> On windows, I was used to installing a new tcpip stack only to discover the
> some other app got broken or worse, the machine wouldn't boot any more.

I don't know that I'd say 'rational', but it sure beats the hell out of
the Windows paradigm!

> Maybe the pace of development has gotten so fast that the varius package
> maintainers have gotten sloppy, and are building inconsistent/clashing
> packages. (debian unstable is no exception, I cant install evolution because
> it requires libgal6 but there is no libgal6 in debian unstable...)

I don't think so, wrt to gal.  The reason libgal4 exists, is so the
Evolution team can take gal through various progressions of libgalx, as
they discover this-or-that must-have functionality with libgal.  gal is
an evolving package.  The fact that certain versions of it are *only*
available from the evolution-snapshot directories at ftp.ximian.com,
should clue you in that these are *development* (aka, ALPHA) versions of
the libraries.  Neither Evolution nor Ximian, has ever said, "Develop
your apps against the latest CVS snapshot. BTW, you'll have to recode
next week after we drop some header files and make other changes".
Heck, they don't even use libgal8 as part of the official Ximian GNOME
release!! (well, not yet, anyhow)

GNUCash should code to the current stable version, which, IIRC, is
libgal4.  If GNUCash can compile cleanly against libgal8, then
wonderful!! Be aware, however, that the next time you upgrade your
Evolution and libraries, you may break GNUCash, because you compiled it
against a *development* library.

Also, FWIW, libgal5, libgal6, and libgal7 are no longer being changed,
AFAIK.

Hmm, wonder if I can throw anymore Web acronyms in...oh, yeah!!
TTYL. ;)
--
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print