Ximian gtkhtml upgrade breaks gnucash package

Roger H. Goun roger@bcah.com
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 17:06:33 -0400

The latest release of the gtkhtml and libgtkhtml packages from Ximian
for Red Hat 7.1 has broken a GnuCash 1.6.1 dependency.

[root@kiera roger]# rpm -Uvh gtkhtml-0.10.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm libgtkhtml13-0.10.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
	libgtkhtml.so.10   is needed by gnucash-1.6.1-1

I forced the upgrade (--nodeps), and of course gnucash couldn't start,
so I created a symlink:

[root@kiera roger]# cd /usr/lib
[root@kiera lib]# ln -s libgtkhtml.so.13 libgtkhtml.so.10

This works in my very limited testing, but of course it's not an ideal
solution. Should I have installed rather than upgraded libgtkhtml?

Would it be possible/worthwhile to link the gnucash executable in the
RPM statically to reduce all this shared library thrashing? I'm new to
GnuCash, so forgive me if I'm reopening old wounds here.

-- Roger