Can I reformat your code?

Rob Browning rlb@defaultvalue.org
25 Jul 2001 11:09:58 -0500

grib@billgribble.com (Bill Gribble) writes:

> > Whatever the case with the braces with if's and while's no brace
> > should be at the end of a function def.  It should always be on the
> > next line.
>
> That's fine with me, I guess.

This is also a critical formatting bit in order for some tools to work
right.  Most notably for me, "C-x 4 a" in emacs which if you're within
a struct or function with the open curly brace not at the end of the
line, it'll automatically create a proper ChangeLog entry (with
reference to the right function or struct), and will even find the
right ChangeLog if you have them in subdirs.  I don't know if other
people use this, but I do heavily.  i.e. the tool expects

  int
  foo(...)
  {

If you have the "{" on the same line as the foo, then it doesn't
work.

This, and a medium-strong preference against

  if()
    {
      foo

are the two main bits I can think of that I care about.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu