[post-1.6] i18n ambiguities

Richard Braakman dark@xs4all.nl
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:35:26 +0300

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 10:18:59PM +0200, Christian Stimming wrote:
> There are a number of i18n issues that I think have to be resolved in the
> long term. Namely, some words in english means a bunch of different things
> while spelt the same. Example: the string "Transfer" could either be a
> verb (to transfer money, used as toolbar label) or a noun (a transfer of
> money has happened, used in the 'action'-field of a transaction).

This might be a good time to mention that I started on a dutch
translation :)  At what point would it be useful for me to send
it in?  Currently I have about 10% of the entries translated.

I've run into the same problem.  For example, "amount" should be
translated to "bedrag" when it's an amount of money, and "hoeveelheid"
otherwise.  "add" is "optellen" when doing sums, and "toevoegen"
when adding items to a list.

It's also difficult to tell from the source code how a word will
be used -- often it's part of a list of strings, far away from
the code that will use it.

By the way, what should I do with entries like "label773"?

Richard Braakman