[OT] etags, xemacs and guile

James LewisMoss jimdres@mindspring.com
04 Jun 2001 11:06:04 -0400

>>>>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 22:46:20 +1000, "Jonathan David Wheelhouse" <whsjnd@froggy.com.au> said:

 Jonathan> Browsing through the gnucash source is much easier since I
 Jonathan> discovered etags; it's great.

 Jonathan> I ran etags on the files for each of the directories I
 Jonathan> wanted to put a TAGS file (ie. find ./ -name "*.[cChH]" -o
 Jonathan> -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.scm" | etags -).  Then, in xemacs
 Jonathan> I can jump to the definitions of functions, etc. for the C
 Jonathan> source code.

 Jonathan> However, xemacs wouldn't jump from point somewhere on
 Jonathan> "gnc:main"

 Jonathan> ...
 Jonathan>     func = gh_eval_str("gnc:main");
 Jonathan> ...

 Jonathan> in gnucash/src/guile/gnucash.c

 Jonathan> to

 Jonathan> (define (gnc:main)

 Jonathan> in gnucash/src/scm/main.scm

 Jonathan> So how do I get this to work - jumping from C to guile and
 Jonathan> back again?

 Jonathan> And a related question.  I sometimes put point on what I
 Jonathan> assume is some GNOME variable, function or whatever
 Jonathan> (eg. GList).  Do I have to install some GNOME dev library
 Jonathan> to be able to jump to the GNOME definition?  Some doco
 Jonathan> available?

tags only work on the files indexed so the gnome stuff won't work.  I
just use a web browser and look at the online docs most of the time.

To jump to a scheme def from C you can make sure you are trying to
find "(gnc:main)" (with parens without quotes :).  Not the nicest way
to do it, but it seems functional.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!