Dependency hell redux

Bjorn Helgaas bjorn_helgaas@hp.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:40:06 -0600

On Thursday 14 June 2001 08:31, Bill Gribble wrote:
> ... nor did you make any
> attempts through the normal gnucash support channels (such as this
> mailing list, which you are not a member of but clearly monitor) to
> fix your problem before publishing an article about it.

I like GnuCash and have wanted to start using it for over a year.  The
biggest reason I haven't done so is exactly the problem Jon points out:
it's unreasonably difficult to get the thing installed and working.

It might have been nice for Jon to explore and report on the GnuCash
support channels, but I'm also interested in the "out-of-the-box"
experience that he reported.  Unfortunately, my experiences have been
similar to his, so I think he raised some valid points that, if addressed,
can go a long ways toward hastening the adoption of GnuCash.

Whether there are 60 libraries or 5 packages or whatever is unimportant;
the point is that the installation problems are an obstacle that prevents
many interested users from using GnuCash.

Bjorn