Dependency hell redux

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:03:29 -0500

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:40:06PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> I like GnuCash and have wanted to start using it for over a year.  The
> biggest reason I haven't done so is exactly the problem Jon points out:
> it's unreasonably difficult to get the thing installed and working.

I'm sorry you've had trouble installing Gnucash.  If you could provide
some more information about what sort of system you are using and what
kinds of trouble you have had, perhaps we can make the process less
painful.  Have you asked for help with the installation on the mailing
lists in the past?  Did you get any helpful responses?  Any responses
at all?

> Whether there are 60 libraries or 5 packages or whatever is unimportant;
> the point is that the installation problems are an obstacle that prevents
> many interested users from using GnuCash.

Clearly these problems have prevented at least a few people from using
Gnucash, and that's not a good thing.  We're hoping to make the
installation easier in the future.

Bill Gribble