Dependency hell redux

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
14 Jun 2001 16:34:56 -0400

grib@linuxdevel.com (Bill Gribble) writes:

> I'm sorry you've had trouble installing Gnucash.  If you could provide
> some more information about what sort of system you are using and what
> kinds of trouble you have had, perhaps we can make the process less
> painful.  Have you asked for help with the installation on the mailing
> lists in the past?  Did you get any helpful responses?  Any responses
> at all?

Ok, I'll bite.  I've had problems with Gnucash since a few months ago.
And yes, I've reported them.  I'm on a fairly-stock Red Hat 6.2.  I
don't want to destroy my current installation, which includes Gnome
1.2 and Guile 1.3.

I wouldn't mind having a sand-boxed version of all the libraries
required for GnuCash, but no such set of GnuCash-sandbox RPMs exist.

> > Whether there are 60 libraries or 5 packages or whatever is unimportant;
> > the point is that the installation problems are an obstacle that prevents
> > many interested users from using GnuCash.
>
> Clearly these problems have prevented at least a few people from using
> Gnucash, and that's not a good thing.  We're hoping to make the
> installation easier in the future.

Honestly, I want the installation to be so easy that my MOM could
do it.  Note that my mom can barely turn a computer on ;)