Debian installation

James A. Treacy treacy@debian.org
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:47:44 -0400

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:47:42PM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> So...I'm still trying to come up with a working gnucash 1.6.  Still no joy
> in mudville.
>
> I've even gone so far as to put the vaunted Debian unstable on a system and
> try the apt-get command that I was so smugly told would bring me instant
> gnucash nirvana.  No such luck.  I get a gripe that gnucash depends on
> libgwrapguile0 >= 0.9.1, which is not installable.  Anybody know a way
> around this?

The problem is that gnucash was accidentally compiled against
libgwrapguile0 instead of libgwrapguile1. Then, just after gnucash
1.6.0 was added to the distribution, libgwrapguile0 was removed (due
to it's source not being available. I'm guessing the addition of
libgwrapguile1 caused this).

I have reported the problem to the wrapguile maintainer (who also
happens to be the gnucash packager). I expect it will be fixed
either tomorrow or the next day. If anyone would like a copy of
the old libgwrapguile0 .deb, you can grab from
http://people.debian.org/~treacy/libgwrapguile0_0.9.12-3_i386.deb

So, while I feel Debian has a better developed dependency setup than
other distributions, we are only human and make mistakes. :)

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org