online balance info

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:57:24 -0500

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 01:07:30PM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Personally, I would love to be able to just download=20
=2E..
> [.. QIF ...] (due to problems with Vanguard losing
> information, and Netbank losing inter-account transfer information and
> returning a malformed check information.
>=20
> I would certainly love to see direct OFX import.

two remarks:
1) I've concluded that the est way to deal with OFX import is with scheme
   However, I'm a scheme newbie, so this opinion is lightweight. (but=20
   still correct!)

2) OFX also seems to loose inter-account transfer info, and has
   mal-formed, badly capitalized and cryptic info in 'payee' and
   'memo' fields, at least based on samples I've looked at.

   Its a bit cleaner than QIF to parse (e.g. it should indicate the
   currency of the transaction).  But its not a double-entry system;
   all you know is that money came, or went, but you are never clear
   on to whom, or how or why.   You have to guess based on the=20
   badly-formatted, badly-capitalized, and possibbly blank 'payee'=20
   and 'memo' fields.   To maintain consistency, the OFX importer=20
   would have to remember how it guessed last time, and hope it can
   do the same again.   Sigh. And I thought OFX was the answer to=20
   all problems.

--=20
Linas Vepstas -- linas@gnumatic.com -- http://www.gnumatic.com/

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X