Survey

W. Scott Wilburn wswilburn@earthlink.net
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 11:23:57 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

	I just filled out your survey - thanks for asking. A couple of
points deserve more than a simple yes/no or 1-5 rating. Here are a few
comments:

1) Ease of installation - when my distro (RH) uses the same version of
   gnome as gnucash, it is plenty easy. When that's not true, it takes
   more time than I'm willing to spend. In that case, I just wait for RH
   to fix the problem for me. (Between home and work I maintain 8
   machines and decided about a year ago that, being a scientist and not
   a sysadmin, if I was to stay productive and have a life I needed to
   stop doing most things that required more than rpm -Uvh). This is not a
   complaint. I understand that developers and distribution packagers have
   different criteria for when to switch. Just a piece of reality from
   someone who is neither a newbie or a hacker.

2) Tax preparation - While I'm not willing to pay for most things, I would
   pay for tax preparation. I currently pay H&R Block $20 each year to use
   their web-based system. Although designed for use by a browser, it is
   still MS oriented and marginal w/ Linux. I need some confidence that
   you guys know tax law though, since I really don't have time for an IRS
   audit. It may take a parnership with some one like Block to convince
   me, I'm afraid. I'd pay $40 a year for this.

3) Gnucash is by far the best non-geek-oriented app I have used. Great
   work guys. I much prefer it to Quicken and only miss the scheduled
   transaction feature.

Best regards,
Scott Wilburn