"from" account naming after a trans-currency transaction

Christian Hammers ch@westend.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 00:17:37 +0200

Hello

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:54:39PM -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > When doing a DEM to EUR tranaction in the target account I now read the
> > "META: DEM->EUR" string as "source" account of this specific transaction.
> >
> > Ok, that's what it is but it surely isn't usefull any more. Would it be a
> > good idea to mark the accounts that are just created to transact from former-
> > European-currencies to EUR as special and "hide" them in this field? Or
> > write "my incoming wage (via DEM-EUR)" as source account? Using the via-
> > notation it would even make a bit sense for non EURo countries that use
> > trans-currency transactions for other reasons.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here, could you explain further?

See, I have three accounts:
1. my shares account (EUR)
2. my incoming (DEM)
3. a DEM to EUR trasaction support account that is needed by gnumeric

I make a transaction from the incoming (2) to the shares account (1) for
1,000.00 DEM. At the bottom there appears the support account (3) and the
EUR->DEM exchange rate of 1.95583. I press enter.

Now gnucash actuall does two transactions:
1. from incoming to support account (in DEM)
2. from support account to shares account (in EUR)

In the shares account there's on transaction visible: an increase by about
500.00 EUR from the source "[DEM->EUR]", the name of the support accoutn (3).

This is suboptimal because, although it's true of course, it's absolutely
useless because this string appears there regardless from which (DEM) account
I transferred money to this target account.

Therefore I'd propose to edit the transaction_over_currency_account() function
to show a "other account" description like:
	"incoming wages (via [DEM->EUR])"

hope it's clearer now :)

bye,

    -christian-

--
 	codito ergo sum - I code, therefore I am!