"from" account naming after a trans-currency transaction

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Tue, 01 May 2001 23:46:04 -0700

Christian Hammers writes:
> Hello
>
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 02:54:39PM -0700, Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > > When doing a DEM to EUR tranaction in the target account I now read the
> > > "META: DEM->EUR" string as "source" account of this specific transaction.
> > >
> > > Ok, that's what it is but it surely isn't usefull any more. Would it be a
>
> > > good idea to mark the accounts that are just created to transact from for
> mer-
> > > European-currencies to EUR as special and "hide" them in this field? Or
> > > write "my incoming wage (via DEM-EUR)" as source account? Using the via-
> > > notation it would even make a bit sense for non EURo countries that use
> > > trans-currency transactions for other reasons.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean here, could you explain further?
>
> See, I have three accounts:
> 1. my shares account (EUR)
> 2. my incoming (DEM)
> 3. a DEM to EUR trasaction support account that is needed by gnumeric
>
> I make a transaction from the incoming (2) to the shares account (1) for
> 1,000.00 DEM. At the bottom there appears the support account (3) and the
> EUR->DEM exchange rate of 1.95583. I press enter.
>
> Now gnucash actuall does two transactions:
> 1. from incoming to support account (in DEM)
> 2. from support account to shares account (in EUR)
>
> In the shares account there's on transaction visible: an increase by about
> 500.00 EUR from the source "[DEM->EUR]", the name of the support accoutn (3).
>
> This is suboptimal because, although it's true of course, it's absolutely
> useless because this string appears there regardless from which (DEM) account
> I transferred money to this target account.
>
> Therefore I'd propose to edit the transaction_over_currency_account() functio
> to show a "other account" description like:
> 	"incoming wages (via [DEM->EUR])"
>
> hope it's clearer now :)

Yes, very clear, thank you. At this point in the development cycle for
1.6, it is probably too late to add the necessary infrastructure to
make this work correctly.

During the next development cycle we hope to remove the need for
intermediate currency transfer accounts altogether.

dave