margins for printing gtkhtml?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Sat, 12 May 2001 11:54:59 +1000

> This is weird, as gtkhtml uses A4 size. I am not sure what is the
> standard way of printing settings like paper size, resolution, ...
> Lauris?

I did notice this.  I think the margins are probably fine for general
text, for for tables, you want the option to use as much as the page
as possible.

> So could you please  check, that wide tables aren't some other issue?
> GtkHTML printing code is in htmlengine-print.c, where we use GnomePaper
> object.
>
> > users.  As gnucash tends to use tables
> > that can get rather wide, this is rather restrictive.
> >
> > Is there an existing interface/API that can be used to configure the
> > margins
> > (and papersize, for this matter)?  If not, how difficult would that be
> > to add?
>
> I think it's not very usefull when each library will have its own way of
> setting these standard parameter, again Lauris could you please comment
> on this?
>
> On the other hand, I am thinking about some more general interface, when
> calling application (like GnuCash) gives to GtkHTML GnomePrintContext
> and printing area (like x_offset, y_offset, width, height) and then will
> call for each page print.
>
> So the interface could look like this:
>
> void     gtk_html_print_begin (GnomePrintContext *pc, gdouble x_off,
> gdouble y_offset, gdouble width, gdouble height);
> /* return value: FALSE - nothing printed, we are on the end of print,
> TRUE otherwise */
> gboolean gtk_html_print_page ();
> void     gtk_html_print_end ();
>
> OK, so what do you think?

Personally I always think in terms of margins rather than printable
width and height, so I'd prefer and interface that takes left, right,
top, and bottom margins, and figures out the width based on the paper
size (which might also be passed in as a parameter).

Bill Gribble, do you have a comment on any of this?

Anyway, thanks for your input.
Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig