price-db storage via BackEnd?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
16 May 2001 12:55:36 -0400

linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> Well, my strong recommendation (and intended design) is that other apps
> should not access the pg databasse directly, but only through the
> 'engine' interfaces.  The engine is coded up in pure C, and has no
> gui (or scheme, at the moment) in it.  This is supposed to make the
> engine very portable (and thus usable in other projects).

Indeed, this is why the RPC interface is engine-to-engine.  There is
an engine sitting at the "server" and an engine sitting at the client.
The former is just a network daemon, the latter is connected to the
client's UI.  Two two engines talk to each other via an RPC protocol
to keep data consistent (or make requests/queries/updates/etc).