Stock split information

Steve D. Perkins stevedperkins@hotmail.com
Thu, 17 May 2001 20:36:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C0DF11.1A942B50

    I have been working on an open-source JSP/servlet stock portfolio =
management system, which I plan to eventually evolve into a gaming =
engine for "fantasy stock market" style websites.  The fundamental =
component of my system is a quote fetching bean I wrote, which retrieves =
current information about a security from the Yahoo quote feed API.  I =
was dealt a major setback a few weeks ago when Yahoo suddenly changed =
the format of their API... information on stock splits was once =
retrievable through option "t" being passed to the API, now this is no =
longer available.  If I have no means for determining recent split =
dates... then I am unable to make adjustment to position quantites in =
users' portfolios, and things would get out of whack in a hurry.

    I stumbled across GnuCash in the process of researching a solution =
for my problem.  If users can use GnuCash to track their investment =
holdings, then I am assuming GnuCash has the ability to automatically =
adjust positions based on splits (please correct me if it is the case =
that users must manually inform GnuCash about stock splits).  I have =
spent the past couple of days pouring over the Perl source code in the =
Finance::Quote module used by GnuCash... but have had no success in =
finding the solution (the module seems to be completely dependant on the =
same Yahoo API used by my bean for domestic stocks).

    I am hoping that any of the developers or users familiar with =
GnuCash's architecture can point me in the right direction for locating =
the portions of code responsible for recongizing stock splits in =
portfolio holdings.  Any high-level information about the algorithm or =
API used would be helpful, although I don't mind figuring it out on my =
own if someone can please point me towards the appropriate code.  Thank =
you very much in advance.

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C0DF11.1A942B50

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have been working =
on an=20
open-source JSP/servlet stock portfolio management system, which I plan =
to=20
eventually evolve into a gaming engine for "fantasy stock market" style=20
websites.&nbsp; The fundamental component of my system is a quote =
fetching bean=20
I wrote, which retrieves current information about a security from the =
Yahoo=20
quote feed API.&nbsp; I was dealt a major setback a few weeks ago when =
Yahoo=20
suddenly changed the format of their API... information on stock splits =
was once=20
retrievable through option "t" being passed to the API, now this is no =
longer=20
available.&nbsp; If I have no means for determining recent split =
dates... then I=20
am unable to make adjustment to position quantites in users' portfolios, =
and=20
things would get out of whack in a hurry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I stumbled across =
GnuCash in the=20
process of researching a solution for my problem.&nbsp; If users can use =
GnuCash=20
to track their investment holdings, then I am assuming GnuCash has the =
ability=20
to automatically adjust positions based on splits (please correct me if =
it is=20
the case that users must manually inform GnuCash about stock =
splits).&nbsp; I=20
have spent the past couple of days pouring over the Perl source code in =
the=20
Finance::Quote module used by GnuCash... but have had no success in =
finding the=20
solution (the module seems to be completely dependant on the same Yahoo =
API used=20
by my bean for domestic stocks).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am hoping that any =
of the=20
developers or users familiar with GnuCash's architecture can point me in =
the=20
right direction for locating the portions of code responsible for =
recongizing=20
stock splits in portfolio holdings.&nbsp; Any high-level information =
about the=20
algorithm or API used would be helpful, although I don't mind figuring =
it out on=20
my own if someone can please point me towards the appropriate =
code.&nbsp; Thank=20
you very much in advance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01C0DF11.1A942B50--