Stock split information

Paul Fenwick pjf@cpan.org
Fri, 18 May 2001 11:57:43 +1000

--bi5JUZtvcfApsciF

G'day Steve,

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 08:36:51PM -0400, Steve D. Perkins wrote:

[snip]

>     I stumbled across GnuCash in the process of researching a solution fo=
r my
>     problem.  If users can use GnuCash to track their investment holdings,
>     then I am assuming GnuCash has the ability to automatically adjust
>     positions based on splits (please correct me if it is the case that u=
sers
>     must manually inform GnuCash about stock splits).  I have spent the p=
ast
>     couple of days pouring over the Perl source code in the Finance::Quote
>     module used by GnuCash... but have had no success in finding the solu=
tion
>     (the module seems to be completely dependant on the same Yahoo API us=
ed
>     by my bean for domestic stocks).

If you're thinking that F::Q can't detect stock-splits, then you'd
be right, and if Yahoo have removed the tag which indicates that
then we might be both in the same boat.

Of course, Yahoo isn't the only source for quotes and information.
Try taking a look at:

	http://quotes.nasdaq.com/quote.dll?page=3Dxml&mode=3Dstock&symbol=3DSUNW

for a very nice chunk of market information in XML.  There's a DTD
available at:

	http://www.nasdaq-amex.com/reference/NasdaqAmexDotCom.dtd

Which makes mention of:

<!-- ***** SSK   18-Jan-01   Add Stock split element and attribute ***** -->
<!ELEMENT stock-split (#PCDATA)>
<!ATTLIST stock-split effective-date CDATA #IMPLIED>

Which to me looks like it would be a good way of detecting stock-splits.
(Of course, you'd want to find a splitting/split stock to see the
element in action.)

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

	Paul

--=20
Paul Fenwick <pjf@cpan.org>         | "When I see an adult on a bicycle,
Senior Consultant                   |  I have a hope for the human race."
Obsidian Consulting Group           |      -- H.G. Wells

--bi5JUZtvcfApsciF

--bi5JUZtvcfApsciF--