'close window' and 'move to new window' items -> windows menu

Ben Stanley bds02@uow.edu.au
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:54:36 +1000

I propose that the

close window
move to new window

items, which currently reside in the 'File' menu, be moved to the
'Windows' menu, and a separator added between them and the window list.

I mention this because when the notebook style interface is in use, it
is not clear how to close one of the notebook tabs. Perhaps a cleaner
way might be to have a right click menu on the notebook tabs - perhaps
with the single option 'close window'.

Both my wife and I find ourselves confused when we come to close/dismiss
a report. It takes us some thought before we figure to look in
'File|Close window'. Usually, you look in 'File' for stuff about opening
or closing a file of financial records. When we can open more than one
file of records at a time, then the 'File|Close' option would correctly
relate to it.

I realise I've put the solution before the problem here - please feel
free to debate other solutions.

I realise that at this stage any fix would be post 1.6...

Ben.