Another thing about translations

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
29 May 2001 12:10:01 -0700

On 29 May 2001 10:04:44 -0700, Christian Stimming wrote:

> I think it reasonable to assume that users do their serious accounting
> work consistently in one locale. OTOH, to fix it we would probably need to
> add a flag to the accounting structure which, if set, will run the account
> name through gettext each time it is displayed. Maybe it's not too hard --
> what do other people think?

I don't think it would be that simple. For example, looking up the
account by the name the user types in -- they will most likely type
in the displayed name, so even non-display functions will have to
use the gettext version sometimes. And what if the translation
changes?

For scrub-created accounts, I don't think this is a big problem
since the idea is that you are supposed to move the added splits
to their 'proper' accounts and then delete the scrub ones anyway.

For, say, opening-balance accounts this is more of a problem, though.

dave