Check printing and localisation (DE)

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 21:40:45 +1000

On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:30:13 Herbert Thoma wrote:
> Klaus Ridder wrote:
> >
> > I totally agree: checkes are nearly not used here, focus on online
> banking
> > would be much more important.
>
> I agree, too.

A few points:

1)	fixing check printing is a considerably smaller job than online
banking.
2)	Business people like to print checks, at least in Australia and
the US.
3)	most of the functionality is already present, all we need is to
add
	some infrastructure for picking the right check-printing method and
	write the amount->word conversion functions for the areas where
there
	is sufficient demand to warrant putting the effort in.
4)	We can do both things at the same time.  For me personally, work
on online
	banking is going to be difficult because AFAICT Australian banks
online
	efforts are exclusively web-based (using either Javascript, Java
clients,
	or proprietary clients speaking protocols unknown) at this stage.

> > However, as spelled numbers in Germany are quite a mess, as far as I
> know
> > the following method is also accepted in germany ( I have seen this a
> couple
> > of times):
> >
> > "234 DM and 56 Pfennig"  as
> >
> > Zwei-drei-vier DM --------------------
> > (just the numbers two-three-four).
>
> Yes, this method is valid for a german check (at least the
> checks I did this way were accepted, but they were not
> many).
>
> > Probably implementing that would not be too difficult.
> > for the english developers:
>
> Missed the zero:
>
>   0 = null
>
> > 1 = eins
> > 2 = zwei
> > 3 = drei
> > 4 = vier
> > 5 = fuenf
> > 6 = sechs
> > 7 = sieben
> > 8 = acht
> > 9 = neun
> > 10 = zehn
> >
> > Regards,
> > Klaus

Thanks for your help.  Anybody else add any more?  I've spoken
to some UK residents, and the rules are similar to Australia.

Anybody else?  I'd be particularly interested in the situation
with more than one official language - for instance, what's the deal
in Canada?  I presume cheques written in both French and English
are in use there?

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig