Scriptable GUI?

Anthony W. Juckel awj@digitalgreen.com
Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:13:37 -0600

I'm realizing that there are some more changes that I would like to make
to the qif import process, but, again, since I don't want to  be
dogmatic and force my will upon everyone, I would like to do it by way
of user-centric customization.  Basically, I'd like to re-work the gui
for selecting matching transactions.  I've already mocked up a quick
interface for it (no code though, just the look, and I don't have a
website to put it up on, nor did I want to post an image file as an
attachment to the list, so if anyone would like to see it, let me know
so I can send it directly to you), but I'm not sure exactly how I could
put that in place.  (GUI programming is one area that I really have yet
to break into, so bear with me, and please correct me, if I'm completely
wrong in my ideas).

There are two ways I could see to accomplish this:  1)  Rewrite the
entire qif import druid as a seperate component, then try to, using
guile, tell gnucash to use my version, rather than the system version,
or 2)  Alter gnucash to use libglade and allow for user-supplied xml
files, and simply modify the single page in the druid that I'm concerned
with, again, working out all the necessary call-backs in guile.  There
are problems with both approaches, as I see it.  With approach 1, there
is a lot of duplicating of work, and I'm not sure that it is even
possible to use guile to substitute in user-specified GUI code.  With
approach 2, there is a fair amount of work (I would assume..I haven't
looked into it more than superficially so far) needed to be done to the
core system just to put GUI customizability in place (unless I've missed
something, and it is already possible).

So, could anyone wiser than I help me decide which of these paths would
be the appropriate path to follow (or suggest another direction
entirely, if there is something else more reasonable)?

Anthony W. Juckel