QIF import and customization

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
03 Nov 2001 09:28:42 -0600

On Tue, 2001-10-30 at 07:55, Anthony W. Juckel wrote:
> I am looking for that functionality in GnuCash, and am told that it has
> full guile support, but the thing it is lacking (at least from my
> perspective) is proper documentation.

I replied to most of this in another message, but I forgot to mention
something that may be confusing coming from the outside to Gnucash.

Guile was initially adopted because of its potential as a customization
and configuration language (I believe; I wasn't actually a developer
back then, I just shared office space with the guy who forced guile down
everybody's throat [hi rlb] :).

However, its main purpose in gnucash now is as an implementation
language, not an extension language.  Much of gnucash's core is still C
code, but an increasing amount of basic functionality is Scheme, and so
most of the C code has been wrapped by g-wrap to make it available from
Scheme.  When I'm working on new functionality for gnucash, I always
start in Scheme and just write the parts in C that are absolutely
necessary.

So I think it's fair to say that Gnucash has full guile support, since
all of the code is either written in guile or wrapped for use by guile.
However, that not the same thing as the Emacs style of integration
between user code and "system" code, as I discussed in my other reply.

b.g.