A/R, A/P, Invoicing features

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
05 Nov 2001 21:32:24 -0500

Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net writes:

> The few systems I know (Small and medium Business) separate very well
> between accounting (Ledger) and Invoice/Inventory/Billing, etc. etc.

Yep.  I've come to that conclusion (mostly).  I still want an
integrated solution, but yes, the Invoice/Inventory/Billing should be
a module separate from (but integrated with) the accounting portions
of the system (A/R, A/P).

> The "Gnu"-way to do this can be found at the GNUe project.  I think it
> would be worth for you to take a look there.

Indeed, and unfortunately there isn't much there.  Vaporware, IMHO.
Some good ideas, and perhaps in the long run (>3 years) it will be
something worth looking at.  But at this point I'd rather use
JobTracker and SQL-Ledger -- at least those are usable systems (even
with all their faults).

> Personally I would like to see the GnuCash-engine as the
> accounting-core of GNUe.  To accomplish this, there would be the need
> to be able to "feed" batches of accounting records to GnuCash from the
> other modules, and report eventual problems to somewhere else.

That is certainly one approach.  It would still require Gnucash to
have support for A/R and A/P.  It would still require an integrated
Customer/Job/Vendor database in order to do proper aging reports.

> The point is, that if you do invoicing, the system (and GnuCash) would
> do the accounting for you, not vice-versa (which would be you doing
> accounting and the system makes the invoice...)

Actually, I'd like the system to do both for me.. ;)

> Best Regards,

I've been working on this idea a lot today, and I think I've got
it mostly flushed out at this point.  I'll write it up and send
it out tomorrow.