sql backend failure when deleting an account

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:40:24 -0800 (PST)

Hello all.  I'm trying out the Postgresql backend, and
I seem to have been bitten.  Well, not seriously--it's
only my test set.  Anyhow, stuff seems to work well
when creating accounts.  I've also played with
creating and deleting transactions.  That also seems
to work well.

However, when I try to delete an account, it fails.
Apparently there is an invalid data type in the
account delete.  I haven't tracked the issue past
SEND_QUERY and FINISH_QUERY.  Here are the errors:

Error: pgendKVPDeleteStr: finish query failed:
        ERROR:  Attribute 'ipath' is of type 'int4'
but expression is of type 'bpchar'
        You will need to rewrite or cast the
expression

Error: xaccAccountCommitEdit:  backend asked engine to
rollback, but this isn't handled yet. Return code=5
Error: pgendEventsPending: consume input failed:
PQerrorMessage: conn pointer is  NULL

I'm not sure about the rollback error, but the conn
pointer is NULL error seems to be becasue FINISH_QUERY
follows SEND_QUERY, and both disconnect the
connection.

Is anybody aware of this problem, and is anyone
working on it?  Or has it already been addressed?

Just as an aside, mightn't it be better to not
disconnect from the database just because of an error?
 I think a better path might be to discard the change,
popup an appropriate error message, and maintain the
connection so that other changes can be saved.  Just
my opinion, but everything I do at work is with
database interaction, and there's nothing more
irritating than getting calls from the field because
the application disconnected from the database and
didn't re-establish.  Of course, in this case, the
disconnection was *performed* by the application!!

My point on the last bit is, ok, so I cannot delete an
account.  Bug noted.  Why not let me continue working
with the other pieces that *do* work, instead of
rudely blitzing my database connection?

Thanks,
Matt