Electric Fence?

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:55:00 +1100

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:32:22 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Has anyone (else) recently tried using Electric Fence to
> debug memory problems with Gnucash?  I just tried, and it
> ran out of memory on my 256M linux box, even with 500M
> of swap.  EF, with no EF vars set, gave me an mmap() failed
> error (exit code 0377) as it was trying to bring up the
> main window.
>
> So, has anyone else tried using EF to debug Gnucash?  I
> think there is a memory corruption problem, but I can't
> tell if it's my code, gnome/gtk, or Gnucash in general.
> Basically, the bug I'm seeing is that a bug of GtkWidgets
> are getting corrupted in one of my dialog windows.  I'm
> expecting it's a bug in my own code, but I'm having trouble
> tracking it down (let alone reproducing it).
>
> I'm currently building on a Sparc/Solaris box so I can
> attempt to use purify, hoping that will help.  I'll definitely
> let you know, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried?

I've tried, with a similar setup to your Linux box, and run into
the same problem.  EF, by its nature, only works for big programs
if you have enormous expanses of memory to spare.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

Go You Big Red Fire Engine
-- Unknown Audience Member at Adam Hills standup gig