Very very new ?

P. Pitts Dockman Old-Trail-Yarns@blazenet.net
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:14:18 -0500

I think I still have a 10 yr learning curve ahead of me and being 50+ am not
overly encouraged.  I am certainly more of a user than a hacker and most
certainly a gosh awful programer.

That said, I was wondering why there is not a Postable? t/f field in the
account record. The way I set up accounts the majority of the parent accounts
would be non-postable; ie in English that's what the word 'other' is for. A
parent 'Utilities' might have children 'Heating Oil', "Elec", "Propane" and
"Other". There is no cause to be able to post to the parent "Utilities" and
if the these parent accounts are not shown in the drop down listings of a
register proper account selection is improved.

Look for my patches in about a year but as I work would appreciate any feed
back as to why this should not be a user selectable feature?

In for a dime in for a dollar, let me pass another concept/issue along that
I'll be looking at.  From my accounting perspective the whole account
parent->child concept is inverted. Any postable account of a certain type
needs to capture specific transaction information.  The parent should not
impose limits on the child, rather the child need to capture what is required
and pass to the parent what ever information the parent can handle (often
only signage of a debit/credit amount.) I concur currency is an exception as
both parent and child need to talk about apples and apples.

What I am exploring is opening equity parent accounts to children of any
type.  From both a business model and personally (the wife has a shop and I
run a farm) equity accounts should be able to summarize
profit-center/enterprise activities.  I recognize that a chart of accounts is
not a replacement for a report writter that says Store-X is in a strip mall
within the eastern region of territory 2-Monte Carlo. Maybe only 5% of users
may utilize such a feature but I can not think of any accounting reasons to
preclude it.

Comments appreciated, flames accepted, thanks in advance
ppd