CVS update: gnucash/src/business/business-core/test

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:11:10 -0600

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:40:26PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > The words 'code reuse' scare me.  There should be no code reuse;
> > if there is, then you haven't abstracted the problem correctly.
> > I assume you mean 'closely tied function'.
>
> There should most certainly be "code reuse" -- one should only have to
> implement a function once and call that function from all the other
> code ;)

Hmm. That's opposite to the usual industry usage of the term, where
its a synonym for rampant cut-n-paste across projects.  (this can be a
positive, in some cases: think 'web site development')  But overall
cut-n-paste is bad.  That's why 'middleware' was invented: to fix
the problem of mindless code reuse.  One of the battle cries of the
early-mid 90's.

> My current theory is that all the orders, all the invoices, and both
> a/r and a/p will each be one object with different type-flags.

Hmm. Maybe I should ask, 'what do you think these objects will be',
in the abstract?  pseudocode for the main structs?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>