code in cvs is broken

Rob Browning rlb@defaultvalue.org
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 16:31:54 -0600

linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> Is it obvious that its the 'most appropriate'? That is what I was
> questioning. A lot of the cases seem to be 'gee it was the first
> thing I thought of', rather than a 'this is the best way'.

Hard to say what's obvious, but with respect to the commodities in the
engine, I'm planning to "fix" that soon, though if earlier versions of
guile had scm_init_guile(), we probably wouldn't need a fix all that
soon.

With respect to this particular situation, I think that writing
parsers is generally one of the worst ways to spend time these days.
Since scheme read/write (or load) often will do the job with minimal
effort.  I think there needs to be a fairly strong argument anytime
you spend time hand-rolling something else.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu