code in cvs is broken

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:20:53 -0600

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 04:31:54PM -0600, Rob Browning was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > Is it obvious that its the 'most appropriate'? That is what I was
> > questioning. A lot of the cases seem to be 'gee it was the first
> > thing I thought of', rather than a 'this is the best way'.
>
> Hard to say what's obvious, but with respect to the commodities in the
> engine, I'm planning to "fix" that soon, though if earlier versions of

Thanks.

> With respect to this particular situation, I think that writing
> parsers is generally one of the worst ways to spend time these days.

I don't see what this has to do with parsers.  Which 'particular
situation' are you refering to?

> Since scheme read/write (or load) often will do the job with minimal
> effort.  I think there needs to be a fairly strong argument anytime
> you spend time hand-rolling something else.

I don't see what this has to do with 'hand-rolling'.  If this refers to
the same conversation as the first paragraph (i.e. loading currencies
into the engine), then the total number of lines of code should be no
more, and probably significantly less than there are now.  I expect
the change to simplify, not complicate things.   ??  Or is this a
different conversation ??

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>