RFC: refactoring window-register as widget-register + containing window

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Nov 2001 19:47:37 -0500

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 16:33, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Moreover, I'd like to be able to re-use as much of SplitLedger as
> > I can.
>
> Well, much of the split-ledger is completely specific to splits.
> So there isn't as much there to re-use as there might seem.

Well, yea, but not all of it.  One would think that if the only code
were pertaining to Splits then you would only need a list of getters,
setters, and layouts.  There is clearly much more than that.

> > By this do you mean 'Date', 'Text', 'Amount', etc..  Or do you mean
> > DATE_CELL, NUM_CELL, DESC_CELL, CREDIT_CELL, DEBIT_CELL, etc.  If the
> > former, great.  If the latter, then I think the abstraction is wrong.
>
> I mean you can register a new 'X' cell designed to hold
> data of type 'X' but that is not specific to a particular
> higher-level object, like a split, invoice, etc.

Right, and my question is if I need two cells to hold a Date (one for
'Today' and one for 'DueDate', do I need to register a "date" once or
twice?  In other words, why do you necessarily need all the FOO_CELL
definitions in split-ledger.h?