Scheduled transaction entry idea

Josh Sled jsled@asynchronous.org
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:51:20 -0800

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:52:48PM -0500, Tim Wunder wrote:

| Further detail on how to make the credit/debit formula a variable would be
| helpful. Where can I find that info?

Any non-numeric bits in the "credit/debit formula" will become a variable
name.  Standard/basic math operators are respected as well... so, entering:

"foo + ( bar / baz )"

...in a SX template split would bring up a clist entry in the since-last-run
dialog, asking for values to bind to the variables so it can evaluate
the expression.

That's it, for now.  I'm not happy/finished with that UI, so once I figure
out how I want it to work I can document it a bit better... really, I hope
to find a decent UI so that explicit documentation isn't required reading.

| all my recurring bills: credit cards, gas, phone, water, etc., each with
[deletia]
| also have a bar graph on the bottom of the page that shows a real time
[deletia]
| flow situation will be, if I stay on budget (according to my SX's), or modify
| my budget in some way. And I can see, with a great deal of accuracy, my
| current cash flow situation.

Damn... that's exactly what I want to do.

[example snipped]
| This is really what I'm after with my SX Template idea. Rather than having to
| edit an existing SX and then add a new SX, I'd like to be able to just create
| new SX based on an SX Template.
|
| Does that make sense?

Not really...

I'm trying to figure out what's not ... configurable ... enough in the
current SX setup to allow it to work for you outright:

The SX stuff let's you specify:

1. A recurrence frequency [this seems like it's fine]
2. A list of template splits [with variable amounts]

It seems like you're editing the SXes to get the amounts right M-t-M
... hopefully knowing about the ad-hoc variables and the since-last-run
support for prompting you for their values at entry-creation time should
solve that problem.

...jsled