Dynamic cursors in SplitLedger?

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:44:41 +1100

Derek Atkins wrote:

 > So the question is, how can I easily make this dynamic cursor based
 > on the <type> entry?  Can the ledger code handle something like
 > this?  Or do I have to live with the possibility of someone
 > entering fields improperly and just let them shoot themselves in
 > the foot? -derek

Completely unrelated to the technical question, I'd be suggesting
letting people do what they please. My reason? Well I haven't really
thought it through, but something that Gnucash doesn't enforce but
probably should be available from a business perspective is the need to
use correcting transactions rather than just changing a wrong transaction.
By this I mean that if, for example, an transaction was entered as being
for $100 when it should have been entered for $90 then you should
actually use a second transaction for -$10 to correct that, rather than
just changing the $100 to $90. In a A/R and A/P sense, note that this is
NOT a payment and should not be treated as such!

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au)
Water Sprite Pty Ltd   |  url - http://www.watersprite.com.au/