GTT: question + patch

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:50:23 -0600

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu

Am ccing gnucash-devel, as its relevant.  especially the part at bottom.

This is a discussion about gtt (http://www.linas.org/linux/gtt/gtt.html)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 03:29:41PM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas@linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> > Yes, although there was no way to put task notes into an invoice; I just
> > fixed this a wwek or two ago in cvs.   I don't remember if you can
> > display project notes or not ...
>=20
> This is partly why I'd like an integrated contact list. =20

I agree. Its just that evolution is one kick-butt contact manager,
it just blows everything else out of the water (at least on linux.
We still don't have act! or other comparable windows s/w on linux).

So its painful to think of trying to code up some home-grown contact
maanger when this really excellent tool is already available...

> It would also
> be nice to be able to post out to Gnucash A/R as well :)

Yes.  One way would be to export gnucash-format files, but gnucash
cannot do incremental imports.  Or we could export qif :-(

Or we could debate about programming API's ... I suppose it would not
hurt to start making the gtt engine look like a gnucash extension ...
with several difficult downsides:

-- gtt has a gnome-14 stable branch, which I want to keep 'stable',=20
   and a gnome-20 branch, which won't compile except with gnome 2.0.
   So what to do ???

-- dependencies.  Having gtt use GNCId.h makes gtt (and thus, gnome
   utils) dependent on gnucash.  And that, is, well, frightening.

   Unlike many other gnome software, gnucash does not yet have=20
   dpkg's/rpm's for libgnucash, libgnucash-dev, etc. =20

Maybe this problem is in fact a bellwether for the gnucash extension=20
system:   The day that it becomes 'easy' and 'non-frightening' to=20
integrate gtt with gnucash is the day that the extension mechanism is a
success.  We are still far off from that point...

--linas

--=20
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>
PGP Key fingerprint =3D 8305 2521 6000 0B5E 8984  3F54 64A9 9A82 0104 5933

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu--