About the pt_PT translation and Gnome

Duarte Loreto happyguy_pt@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 18:31:28 +0100

   Hello!

I decided a while ago to start translating Gnome (and become Portuguese
maintainer for Gnome). I've been translating, although I still haven't been
accepted as maintainer, because a (dead for over a year) team already
exists. I'm waiting to become the accepted maintainer.

Some days ago I was at the #i18n speaking with Carlos (from the Gnome
Translation Project) and he told me that I should move my GnuCash
translation from pt_PT to just pt. All Gnome portuguese translations are in
pt and only the brazilians are in pt_BR. There is no pt_PT.

They moved the GnuCash pot file I translated to pt on their status page.

I remember that when I started doing the translation for GnuCash, last
March, Linas or dave told me to do it as pt_PT instead of just pt. Was there
a special reason for this? Would it be possible to move my translations to
just pt? Why do you think Carlos requested this? And why shouldn't we do it
(so I can tell Carlos if we decide not to do it)?

I brought up this issue last night (portuguese night, should be +/- after
lunch in US) in IRC. But everybody involved on the discussion also though it
was best for me to raise the issue on the list.

Ok... Issue is raised. I think that we could move my translation to just pt,
as Carlos told. It was my initial idea in March, anyway. :) What do the rest
think? Is this much trouble in CVS?

Duarte "HappyGuy" Loreto

"Don't worry, be happy!"