Gnu Cash API or modularity ???

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
15 Oct 2001 13:20:36 -0500

On Mon, 2001-10-15 at 13:06, David Lane wrote:
> I'm  looking to integrate a finantual package with POS, Purchasing, and other
> activity that are linked to finance.  GNU Cash might be it if there is
> a dynamic data exchange.

This is where the majority of Gnucash development effort has been going
for the past several months.  The support for using Gnucash as a
component in a larger application is still under development, but it's
developing rapidly.

You won't find much by looking in the documentation.  Most of the docs
are focused on user features rather than developer features.  The
development docs that exist haven't been recently updated to reflect the
current direction of development but may still be useful, particularly
for the engine; developer docs are in doc/design/gnucash-design.info

You'll need to get the current CVS source tree.  You'll probably want to
start by looking at the 'engine' (src/engine, documented in 'gnc-module'
system (briefly documented in src/gnc-module/doc/design.txt), the
'g-wrap' tool for exporting the C API to Scheme, and the simple unit
tests in src/gnc-module/test, src/engine/test, and other test/
directories to see how the API is used.

b.g.