feature request / idea

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:38:16 -0400

In a message dated: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:27:28 -0300
Jeff Warnica said:

>I dont sit down to 'do the books' all that often, so when I do Im generaly
>updating a bunch of accounts.. And Im doing this over a remote X link (I
>have my reasons).

You could get around this for the time being by entering all the data
into a qif file (use 1 for each different account) which is then
imported into gnucash.

I recently did this with 8 or so months worth of data, and it was
extremely quick to do things this way.  This would be ideal over a
slow link, since you can create the file anywhere, then copy it to
the remote location for import.

To reduce the number of errors, you can do a couple of things.  I set
up a bunch of keyboard macros and abbreviations within emacs to make
things simple.  An alternative would be to use something like a perl
script to "expand" account name aliases to the fully qualified
GnuCash account name (i.e. use the word 'tip' for 'Expenses:Food:Dining:Tip')
that way you don't have to type nearly as much, and whatever does
you're auto-expantion will get it right without the potential
for typos.
--

Seeya,
Paul

			  God Bless America!

	...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
		and we never stop trying to be better.
		       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon