<Enter> vs <Tab>

Kevin Handy kth@srv.net
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:04:39 -0600

Tim Wunder wrote:

> Apologies if this has been broguht up before...
> Any thoughts in providing a user-configurable option that would cause <Enter>
> to act as <Tab> when entering a transaction?
> I'v gotten used to using <Enter> to tab from field to field in Quicken. It's
> setup so that <Enter> acts as <Enter> only at the last field in the
> transaction dialog.
>
> Just something I've gotten used to and would still like to be able to do when
> using Gnucash.

I also find it a pain that the enter key doesn't work.  If you are
doing real data entry work, you track your position on the paperwork
using your left hand, while typing with your right.  Having to shift
off the keypad and move clear across the keybaord to hit the tab key
and then move back to the numeric keypad each field is a real pain.
If there was a tab key on the numeric keypad it would be different,
but as it is it really annoying and greatly slows down data entry.
Just ask any accountant.

If you could make the enter key on the numeric keypad work properly,
that would be great. All it does now is insert a '\n' into the field
you are working on, which is really quite useless most of the time.

You could always differentate between the enter on the numeric keypad
and the alpha keypad.