Test report: Scheduled Transactions

James A. Treacy treacy@debian.org
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:48:16 -0400

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 03:36:35PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Tim Wunder <twunder@iwmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can I get the current balance of an account as a variable? Say, to get
> > the current principal balance of a loan for calculating interest for a
> > loan. The SX would look like:
> >          Acct		Deposit		Withdrawal
> > 	Checking:			$1000.00=<pmt>
> > 	Interest:	<loan principal>*.06/12=<int>
> > 	Escrow:		$244.64=<escr>
>
> This is a very simplistic view of interest and does not take
> compounding into effect...  But in general, yes, this is what
> I'd like to do, too.
>
> > <pmt> and <escr> are fixed and manually entered, the rest gets calculated.
>
> Well, the ".06" and "12" (rate and term) would get entered manually,
> too.  I'm not sure how you calculate variable-rate loans, however.

Personally, I'm not concerned that the numbers in such a computed
transaction come out exactly as the banks. As it is, I haven't been
able to get any calculations to come out the same as theirs. As long
as it is close, there can be a manual adjustment at the end of each
accounting period.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org