Installation help

Herbert Thoma tma@iis.fhg.de
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:52:44 +0200

David Lane wrote:

> Gnucash land,
>
>     I am installing gnu cash on a Suse Linux box...
>
> Where are the installation instructions ???
>
> --
> David C. Lane, Programmer
> Merced College
> "Accept NO Limits"
> --------------------------
> Phone: (209) 384-6183
> Colleague: R16/HR4
> Os: AIX

Hi,

may be the following helps

 Herbert.

How to install gnucash on SuSE
==============================
(written 2000-01-07 by Peter Pointner <peter@wuzel.m.isar.de>)
(last changed 2001-06-13 by Herbert Thoma (herbie@hthoma.de))

Notes:

- This is only one way to get GnuCash running on SuSE. I did test
  that, but there might be errors anyway, and of course you do all at
  your own risk. If you find errors, you might report them to the
  gnucash mailing list (gnucash-devel@gnucash.org)

- This is for SuSE 6.3, 6.4, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2 (Intel). Earlier SuSE
  distributions lack some required packages. Later SuSE distributions
  didn't exist at the time of writing.
  NOTE: You can install new packages to older versions of SuSE from
        CD or ftp.suse.de or ftp.suse.com

- This howto is primarily intended for compiling from source.
  If you install the rpm, you don't need the various dev packages
  and you don't need g-wrap. (However, you won't see this howto
  until you installed the GnuCash rpm succesfully ;-).)

- The current stable version is gnucash-1.6.x,
  the current development version is gnucash-1.7.x,
  the development version needs the latest GNOME libraries
  to build, especially gnprint >= 0.23, gdk_pix >= 0.8
  and gtkhtml-0.8, which are not included with current SuSE
  distibutions. The easiest way to get the latest GNOME is to do
   "lynx -source http://go-gnome.com | sh"
  as root.
  SuSE 7.2 comes with all required gnome packages, but you
  should get a newer revision of Guppi, if you want to use
  all features of graphical reports, see below.

Let's go:

* Make sure you have a running system, including X. For my tests I
  started with a default installation and removed some packages to
  save diskspace.

* Install the following packages (the list is valid for SuSE 7.2):
  + from series d
       guile gettext libxml libxmld
    and optionally
       autoconf  automake  libtool
    (You must install libtool if you have autoconf/automake
    installed!)
  + from series x
       xdevel
  + from series xdev
       glade glib-devel gtk gtk-devel libglade libglade-devel
  + from series gnm
       Guppi bonobo bonobo-devel gal gconf gdk-pixbuf gdk-pixbuf-devel
       gnome-core gnome-core-devel gnome-libs gnome-libs-devel
       gnome-print gnome-print-devel gtkhtml gtkhtml-devel
       libghttp libghttp-devel libunicode oaf oaf-devel
  + from series gra
       imlib imlibdev
  + from series sgm
       docb* jade* sgmltools

* Download slib from
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/jacal/slib2c7.zip
  and install it by unpacking it to /usr/share/guile (this will
  create a sub-directory slib):
    cd /usr/share/guile
    su root -c "unzip -L /tmp/slib2c7"

* Download g-wrap from
    ftp://ftp.gnucash.org/pub/g-wrap/
  For the 1.6.x version you need g-wrap-1.1.5.tar.gz or newer
  unpack and untar, then
  ./configure, make, su, make install

* Download Guppi from
    ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/guppi/
  You need Guppi-0.35.5 or newer, if you want to use all features
  of the reports
  unpack and untar, then
  ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome, make, su, make install

* Download GnuCash
  stable version:
    http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-1.6.x.tar.gz
  development version:
    http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/unstable/
  and unpack it
    tar xzf gnucash-1.y.x.tar.gz
* Alternatively get GnuCash from cvs
    cvs -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot login (password guest)
    cvs -d :pserver:cvs@cvs.gnucash.org:/home/cvs/cvsroot checkout gnucash
    (this will get you the latest development version)

* The lib directory contains packages that are needed to build GnuCash
  but are not widely available yet. Read the file lib/README for details.

* Make symbolic link for every file in /opt/gnome/share/aclocal
  to /usr/share/aclocal (or tell me how to modify the automake setup
  so that it looks in /opt/gnome/share/aclocal for input ;-))

* Configure, build and install gnucash. Installation must probably be
  done as root, the files go to various places in /usr/local.

    cd gnucash-1.y.x
    ./configure
    make
    su root -c "make install"

* You may need to run GnuCash once as root, because guile needs to set up
  some things for slib. Alternatively you can try as root:
    guile -c '(use-modules (ice-9 slib)) (require 'new-catalog)'

* If want to send a patch, you need the makepatch perl module, which can
  be found at:
    ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/authors/Johan_Vromans/makepatch-2.00a.tar.gz
  unpack and untar, then
  perl Makefile.PL, make, su, make install
--
Herbert Thoma
FhG-IIS A, Studio Department