OFX approaches and QIF Import

Scott Drennan scott.drennan@home.com
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:07:52 -0500

I've noticed a few people talking about online banking integration over
the last few months, and I'm also interested, but don't want to be
reinventing the wheel if people are already working in this area.

I'm specifically interested in OFX integration to allow downloading of
transaction information from various banks.  I'm not too concerned with
integrated bill payment or securities transactions yet.

My first thought was to start from the QIF import functionality, since
it already has some transaction matching capability to prevent
duplicates.  It looks like this could be modified fairly easily to read
OFX-format files instead of QIF.  Perhaps with one of the SGML-Scheme or
XML-Scheme toolkits?

It would also be nice to incorporate some translation abilities,
similar to the 'Reconciling after QIF import; Quicken conversion'
discussion.

Is there anything from the HBCI integration that could be useful for
OFX?

This is the last thing stopping me from using gnucash instead of
Quicken, so I'm very interested in it.  Is anyone else interested in
putting together some design docs and/or hacking a prototype together?

cheers,
Scott