OFX approaches and QIF Import

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
28 Oct 2001 16:31:48 -0500

scott.drennan@home.com (Scott Drennan) writes:

> This is the last thing stopping me from using gnucash instead of
> Quicken, so I'm very interested in it.  Is anyone else interested in
> putting together some design docs and/or hacking a prototype together?

I'm very interested in seeing this happen, but I don't have a Gnucash
development environment at the moment (I just spent the last three
days getting 1.6.4 built!)  But I'd certainly like to see OFX support
for the same reason you do: do be able to download transaction
information from banks and consoldate a complete financial picture
locally in Gnucash.

Personally, I have no interest (in the short term) of pushing
transactions out of gnucash and into online banking systems.  I'd
rather (in the short term) be able to pull online banking transaction
statements into gnucash, and be able to do this from all my financial
institutions.

Something flexible, so that you could program it to deal with the
ideosyncracies of individual financial institutions, would be ideal.
I don't have any designs in mind, but I'm certainly willing to think
about this.