Guile Extensibility

Anthony W. Juckel awj@digitalgreen.com
30 Oct 2001 15:27:02 -0600

I've tried asking on the gnucash-user mailing list about guile
extensibility, but no useful information came of it, short of one person
saying he had tried cross-posting the message to this list.  I
subscribed to this list, but again, no useful responses.

Basically, I'm just wondering what facilities are available for allowing
a user to use guile to extend gnucash.  Is there a dotfile that gets
loaded on startup (a la emacs)?  If so, what is the name/format of said
file.  What hooks (if any) into the event system does the engine
provide?  Is there any unified place to go to read about extending
gnucash?

I've been playing around with the code for a little bit now, since that
is the best documentation I could find, and am getting a handle on how
to write my own guile procedures to customize/extend gnucash, but I'm
still unsure of where to place these customizations.  I've merely  been
editing the system default files for now (mainly making some changes to
the qif import, to get duplicate matching to fit my preferences), but
this is the sort of code that really belongs in user directory, not
system-wide.  I don't know if I've just missed something obvious here or
not, but I would really appreciate it if someone could help steer me
down the right path with this...

Anthony W. Juckel
Gnucash 1.6.1 (debian)