Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Derek A. Neighbors derek@gnue.org
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:34:12 -0700

>I haven't watched this thread closely enough to see what your particular
>problem is, but I just can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to build
>gnucash from source if you have a Gnome development environment
>installed.  It ain't *that* hard.

Well tried rpms and that didnt work, got about 30 rpms deep and gave up.
 Figured going to source would be easier.  I did that and it helped
slightly but Guppi still wanted 'an older' version of guile/scheme and
something wanted a newer GLIB , I think.  I didnt want to get into
installing other things from source. (basically its not matter of 'cant
get to work' as it is couldnt expend anymore time trying)  This is in
large part due to fact I want red hat off this machine and debian on it
(my development box)  I have two consulting gigs to finish before I can
do that. :(  I will try again at that time.

>In any case, you don't need most of Gnucash to do what you want,
>probably.  You just want the engine and the backends... no Gnome stuff
>at all. If you have glib and guile you can build that (see below about
>modules).

Cool, that was one of the items on my ask grib about, how dependent is
the engine on X and Gnome?  I hope there is a way to remove all X and
Gnome dependencies.  As our server can run on headless machine w/o any
X/Gnome, this was a fairly big requirement from those polled.

>As for talking to Gnucash as a backend, I am just about finished with an
>XML-RPC front end for Gnucash that will let any xml-rpc client set up a
>remote Gnucash session and drive it.  It's for a particular project and
>I didn't really think it was of wide interest; let me know if that's not
>the case.

XML-RPC keeps popping up.  Our early tests proved it to be too slow for
large data sets (reports) (though that was long ago (over a year)) so we
are using CORBA.  We are looking to make RPC hot-swapable so one could
use XML-RPC or CORBA or pick your evil.  Integrating with phpGroupWare
would be aided as well if we made XML-RPC available in GEAS.  So there
is interest, but no urgency.

>We're in the process of doing this, but pulling all the pieces apart is
>a PITA.  We have a module system called 'gnc-module' that's wrapped
>around lt_dlopen and friends.  Right now, you can get separate modules
>for the module system, the engine, the register, and a few other
>things... and then the Gnome stuff, including graphing and printing, is
>one giant .a glommed on the end of the link line. dave_p has done a
>great job of whittling away at that glom but it will take some more time
>to get finished, and then to update the build process to allow things to
>be configured and built separately.

My prayers go out to Dave. :)

Derek