XML size (was: no subject)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
02 Apr 2002 12:14:22 -0500

Rob Browning <rlb@defaultvalue.org> writes:

> FWIW, I'm fairly certain there were endian/architecture issues.  I say
> that because just before the switch to XML I spent a little while
> trying to fix them on the alpha.  However I certainly won't argue that
> XML is the "great solution" so many people seem to think it is.  Heck,
> I'd probably rather see us using scheme forms for the data.  Then you
> get your lexical bits for free with a simple "(read port)".

There were definitely _not_ endian issues; my files worked fine on
both x86 and sparc platforms.  I would certainly believe there was
a word-size issue (which would explain your problems with the Alpha).

> > I, for one, would support work to put a good binary file format back
> > into gnucash.
>
> I'd rather see that effort put into investigating the use of
> sqlite/postgres as the only backend.  Since we can now easily run a
> dedicated postgres in a local sandbox if we want to, that makes things
> a lot easier.

So long as the "database" file is portable, that is fine with me.  I
"live" in a heterogeneous environment so I need to be able to access
my data files from a number of different platforms.  Therefore, I need
my data files to be platform independent.