XML size (was: no subject)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Apr 2002 20:45:35 -0500

Paul Lussier <plussier@mindspring.com> writes:

> Also, I'd like to point out, I have not once argued in favor of
> keeping the XML format, rather, my argument is for keeping the file
> format ascii-text based vs. binary.  I don't care if the ascii format
> is XML or colon-delimited, as long as I can edit it with the editor
> of my choice in a non-X environment.
>
> Also, as I also pointed out in my reply to Rob Browning, I'd be
> completely happy with a ascii import/export feature as long as I can
> export the entire data set any time I want, and import it any time I
> want.  The only thing I request in addition to the import/export
> feature, which I have not yet mentioned, is that I should be able to
> do this from the command line *without* requiring either X or the
> GnuCash application actually be running. I.e., I should be able to do
> something like:
>
> 	gnucash --export gnucash.xac > gnucash.txt

I think that a text/curses-based Gnucash application/UI is a Good
Idea, but is orthogonal to the data format issue.

As for text export, I _DID_ say export and import.  Perhaps you missed
it (or perhaps it was in one of the personal replies instead of one on
the list).

Note that with MySQL, you can always run the db_dump and db_restore
functions, even with an embedded database.